Monday, May 16, 2011

“Making Art in America is a Political Statement in Itself”: Grammy Award-winning Singer Steve Earle on Music, Writing and Acting

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/5/13/making_art_in_america_is_a



Singer-songwriter, actor and author Steve Earle joins us in the studio to talk about his art and perform two songs from his new album, I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive. He is being awarded an honorary degree today from the City University of New York School of Law. Last year, he was honored by the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty for his years of involvement with the anti-death penalty movement. “Making art in America is sort of a political statement in and of itself,” Earle says. “I don’t think I’m a political songwriter as much as I am just a political person.”





album: I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive (April 2011)
lyrics: I love you with all my heart
All my soul, every part of me.
It's all I can do to mark
Where you end and where I start you see.

Living long in my travails, I left a trail of tears behind me.
Been in love so many times
didn't think this kind
would ever find me.

I love you with everything, all my weakness,
all my strength.
I can't promise anything except that my last breath
will bear your name.

And when I'm gone they'll sing a song
about a lonely fool who wandered around the world and back again,
but in the end he finally found her.

I love you with all my heart,
all my soul and every part of me.
Across the universe I'll spin until the end and then I wonder,
if we should get another chance
could I have that dance forever under
a double moon and the sky-lit stars shining down on where you are.

And I love you with all my heart
all my soul and every part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment